Thursday, February 9, 2012

From Boredom to Chefdom


Have on Hand: A computer, cookbooks (optional)

Boredom Buster Description:
My kids are older: ten and fourteen, and my anti-boredom busting tip not only ends up being fun for them, it teaches them an important, often neglected, skill. I make them chefs for the night.

They must come up with a complete dinner. The only rules are 1) they must use a recipe (though they can alter it if they wish); and 2) the dish must have a vegetable in it. If the two kids are doing it together, I add a dessert into the challenge. This week, my youngest made a tofu and veggie stir fry with a Teriyaki sauce. It was so delicious, I went back for seconds. Now, the kids may moan and groan about this at first, but they will get on board...(perhaps even a cutting board!)

Boredom Buster Bio: My name is L.B. Schulman. I have a book for teens coming out this fall (2012) called League of Strays (Abrams). The description's on my website at lbschulman.com and Goodreads.com. I love purple and princesses and books for little girls, which I miss now that mine are growing up so fast. But the neighbor across the street is starting anew with a little girl due next month--I hope to pass along your books to their family.

Thank you, L.B.Schulman for this great idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment